If you have not made significant customization to your system, you can simply transfer your data from your current system to benefit from the latest updates.
If you follow these steps, you will be using the new system completely. Before you start, we recommend you find out what kind of user you are so you are sure that these steps are right for you.
To be certain, you should only opt to migrate data if you have done minimal changes to your systems, and/or want to start again without any of your own customizations, but want to retain your data. Otherwise, you can consider integrating the latest updates into your existing system.
Depending on how much data you want to migrate, this process can take 10-15 mins.
Choose What Data To Migrate
What data do you want to keep from your old system?
You may not have used every single component in your system - so make a list of the databases you want to migrate data from. You can easily find your data by going to your Components, and looking for the specific components you use often.
Migrate Your Data
Follow the steps below to move the necessary data into your new system.
- Make sure you have already duplicated the newest system into your workspace. You should have your previous system, as well as your newest system ready to use.
- Open two Notion tabs
- One navigating your previous system.
- One navigating your newest system.
Repeat the following sequence of steps for each database you need to migrate data for.
- On both tabs, navigate to the relevant database that you want to migrate data.
- For the newest system, add a pre-fix to your database; like (NEW). This makes it easy to find when you are searching for the database that you wish to move your data to in the step #6.
- If there is any demo data, switch the to [∞] All view and highlight all the entries to delete them.
- For the previous system, switch to the [∞] All view to see all of your entries. Highlight all of the entries and click the 6 dots on the left, then click Move To. Type in (NEW) and find the relevant database.
- Switch to the tab with the newest system and see if the data has migrated successfully.
Migrate Minor Modifications
Depending on the modification you've made to your systems and want to keep, you will have extra steps in the migration process. If you find that you have a lot of modifications you wish to migrate, consider integrating the latest updates into your existing system instead.
New Properties: Create the same property in the new database.
Dropdown (select/multi-select option changes): These MUST be added to the new database.
Formula Adjustments: Simply replace the formula over.
Database Template Changes: Replicate the changes in the new database.
You can update dashboard changes manually after moving your data. Simply open up your Dashboards and make your tweaks as necessary.